The Victory Square (Ukrainian: Площа Перемоги, translit.: Ploshcha Peremohy) in Kiev, the capital of Ukraine, is a large square in the city, dedicated to the victory in the Great Patriotic War.
A crossing of several historic streets such as Saksahansky street, Taras Shevchenko boulevard, Zhuliany street, Boulevard-Kudriavets street – it is a beginning of Peremohy prospect – one of the longest and broadest avenues (parkway) in the city.
The most notable building on the square is the Kiev Circus.
30 m (98 ft)-tall Victory monument and twin houses on the both sides of the Peremohy prospect with “1941” and “1945” markings on their tops are situated on the square to commemorate the victory.
From 1869 — 1952 the square has been known as Halych Square (Ukrainian: Галицька площа). Before the 1950s this area has also been commonly known as Yevbaz (Russian: Евбаз, literally: Jewish market), after the Jewish market that used to be there but was dismantled in the end of the 1940s.
The square is served by numerous marshrutkas, trams, buses and trolley-buses.
1,944 total views, 1 views today